The B+W 43mm XS-Pro Kaesemann High Transmission Circular Polariser MRC-Nano Filter helps to reduce reflections and glare by filtering out light that has become polarised due to reflection from a non-metallic surface. The light from the sun naturally becomes partially polarised due to reflecting off electrons in air molecules, causing the light to scatter into what appears as haze. A polarising filter arranges, and filters, this directionally polarised light perpendicularly to the reflected light, allowing for the absorption of much of this light. This results in a noticeable reduction of glare and reflections from non-metallic surfaces and an increase in the saturation of skies and foliage.
A circular polariser only differs from a linear polariser in that it contains a quarter wave plane in addition to the linear polarising filter. The addition of this quarter wave plane is to circularly polarise the linearly polarised light for the use of auto focus and exposure functions. Due to how the light is broken down and filtered with a linear polariser, auto focus and exposure accuracy become skewed during use. When the light becomes circularly polarised, it permits the use of these functions.
Kaesemann High Transmission Circular (HTC) polarising filters are fitted with polarising foils which provide 99.5% light transmission that are cemented between plano-parallel optical glass. The resulting sandwich is then precision-polished to achieve accurate plano-parallel surfaces. Finally, they are edge-sealed to protect the foil against humidity.
To prevent internal ghosting and reflections, each glass surface includes multiple layers of anti-reflection coating. This Multi-Resistant Coating (MRC) also offers further protection to the filter substrate and helps it to stay clean for longer than with uncoated filters. The Nano coating associated with XS-Pro filters provides an additional eighth layer over the MRC, resulting in an improved beading effect when in contact with water for greater cleaning efficiency.
B+W filters are constructed from Schott glass for increased optical clarity and colour fidelity. This filter features a thin brass filter ring to minimise the potential for vignetting while enhancing durability and jamming prevention. To further reduce the possibility of vignetting when this filter is in use, the filter ring's outside diameter is slightly larger than the actual thread size. This may prevent the use of some lens manufacturer bayonet hoods.
- Helps to reduce reflections and glare by filtering out light that has become polarised due to reflection from a non-metallic surface.
- Polarising filters arrange, and filter, directionally polarised light perpendicularly to the reflected light, allowing for the absorption of much of the light.
- Clears up haze in distant landscapes and provides more saturated, vivid colours.
- Strongest effect when used at a 90° angle from the sun.
- Circular polarisers are ideal for use with digital cameras and autofocus lenses where a linear polariser will often disrupt auto exposure and focus features.
- Multi-coated to prevent internal ghosting and reflections while providing over 99.5% light transmission.
- 2 to 2.8x filter factor reduces exposure by 1 to 1.5 stops.
- Constructed from Schott glass for optical clarity.
- Nano coating provides an improved beading effect with water for more efficient cleaning.
- Plastic filter case for storage and transport.