Raising the imaging bar for Canon's series of advanced compact cameras once again, the PowerShot G1 X Mark III is distinguished by its larger sensor and versatile all-around imaging capabilities. A first for a PowerShot, the G1 X Mark III sports a 24.2MP APS-C CMOS sensor and a DIGIC 7 processor to realise notable image clarity, a wide sensitivity range from ISO 100-25600, an impressive continuous shooting rate up to 9 fps, and Full HD 1080p/60 video recording. The sensor's design also facilitates Dual Pixel CMOS AF, which offers quick and accurate phase-detection autofocus that benefits both stills and video applications. Balancing the improved sensor design is a versatile 3x zoom lens, which covers a 24-72mm equivalent focal length range to suit working in a variety of situations. An Optical Image Stabiliser is also featured, to minimise the appearance of camera shake for sharper imagery when shooting handheld.
In addition to the updated sensor and processor capabilities, the G1 X Mark III also features a refined physical design complete with a built-in electronic viewfinder and a 3.0 inch vari-angle touchscreen for easier, more intuitive control. Dedicated dials about the camera body afford direct adjustment of shooting settings and modes, and both a pop-up flash and a hot shoe are available. Additionally, built-in Wi-Fi with NFC and Bluetooth connectivity enable wireless pairing with a mobile device for remote live view shooting and image transferring.
24.2MP APS-C CMOS Sensor and DIGIC 7 Image Processor
Both a 24.2MP APS-C CMOS sensor and DIGIC 7 image processor are used to deliver high sensitivity and fast camera performance to suit both stills and video applications. A flexible ISO 100-25600 range suits working in a variety of lighting conditions, and the processing capabilities minimise noise for notable clarity. The processor also contributes to a fast 7 fps continuous shooting rate, which can be quickened to 9 fps with AF lock, for photographing fast-moving subjects. Full HD 1080p video recording is also supported at up to a 60-fps frame rate.
Dual Pixel CMOS AF
Dual Pixel CMOS AF offers smooth and fast focusing performance in a similar manner to how a camcorder acquires focus. This system integrates two separate photodiodes within each pixel to provide a broad and dense network of phase-detection gathering elements across a majority of the image sensor to reduce focus hunting for faster, more direct control of focus placement. When working with still imagery, this focusing system works to acquire focus quickly and accurately, making it ideally suited to shooting and tracking moving subjects so that critical focus is attained with each shot. When shooting video, a Movie Servo AF mode offers smooth and natural focusing when changing from different subjects or different distances within the scene, as well as the ability to specify tracking sensitivity, AF speed, and Face Tracking priority. Benefited by the Touch AF system, rack focus is possible simply by touching elements within the scene on the touchscreen in order to change focus in an intuitive manner. Subject tracking in movies is also heightened due to the Dual Pixel CMOS AF system's ability to recognise subjects and maintain focus when working within changing or cluttered scenery.
3x Optical Zoom Lens and Image Stabiliser
A built-in 3x zoom lens offers a versatile 24-72mm equivalent focal length range, covering a wide-angle to portrait-length reach. This f/2.8-5.6 lens also incorporates an Optical Image Stabiliser system to minimise the appearance of camera shake for sharper handheld shooting.
Body Design and Wireless Connectivity
- Integrated electronic viewfinder offers a bright, clear eye-level means for composing imagery.
- Rear 3.0 inch touchscreen is also available for intuitive playback, menu navigation, and live view shooting, and its vari-angle design benefits working from high and low angles.
- When working with the electronic viewfinder, Touch and Drag AF lets you manually move the AF point selection using the rear touchscreen while keeping your eye to the finder.
- Physical controls allow for intuitive settings adjustments, and include a front dial, an exposure compensation dial, and a top mode dial, as well as dedicated rear buttons and dials.
- Built-in pop-up flash can be used for additional illumination and a hot shoe is also featured for working with an optional external flash or other shoe-mounted accessory.
- The body has a dust- and moisture-resistant physical design to permit its use in trying environmental conditions.
- Built-in Wi-Fi with NFC allows for easy wireless sharing of both photos and movies to a linked mobile device.
- Bluetooth permits linking a smartphone or tablet for quick image sharing between devices as well as remote control capabilities.