Building on the success of its predecessor, the FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II Lens from Sony is an evolved and improved telephoto zoom lens for professionals. It is lighter than its predecessor but boasts performance improvements in every area of operation. This addition to the G Master series delivers increase sharpness with a minimum of aberrations with an optical design that includes an XA element, an aspherical element, two extra-low dispersion aspherical elements, two extra-low dispersion elements, and two Super ED elements. This optical design aslo features Sony's latest generation Nano AR II Coating that reduces reflections, flare, and ghosting for improved contrast and color.
Four XL Linear motors make autofocus fast, precise, and highly responsive for stationary subjects and for tracking, with two motors driving each of the internal focusing groups. The floating focus design divides the elements into two independently controlled groups for increased responsiveness, for both still and video applications, with speeds up to four times faster than its previous version design. The FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II lens is the first large-aperture tele-zoom lens with four linear AF actuators, which work to reduce focus breathing and focus shift while zooming. Direct manual focus is available full-time, and linear response manual focus function changes the manual focus response based on the focus ring rotations speed.
Optimized for speed, this lens maintains a fast and constant f/2.8 aperture through the zoom range for easy use in low-light conditions, as well as for greater control over shallow depth of field. Smooth bokeh is achieved by the eleven-blade circular diaphragm for smooth out-of-focus areas. The newly developed aperture drive unit provides fast yet quiet operation.
The white lens barrel features three programmable focus control buttons, an AF/MF switch, a focus range limiter switch, and Optical Steady Shot control switches. Image stabilization combats camera shake, especially at longer focal lengths, and the added Mode 3 function increases framing stability when shooting moving subjects.
For durability and working in harsh environments, the lens is dust and moisture resistant, and the front element features a fluorine coating to resist water and oil. The lens features a removable rotating tripod collar and a lens hood that provides access to rotate a separately available accessory polarizing filter.
- As part of Sony's flagship G Master series, this lens is designed to achieve notably high resolution and sharpness through the correction of a wide variety of spherical and chromatic aberrations. Additionally, these lenses feature robust and intuitive-to-handle physical designs to benefit both photography and cine applications.
- A popular 70-200mm telephoto zoom range designed for full-frame E-mount mirrorless cameras, this lens is also compatible with APS-C format cameras where it renders a 105-300mm equivalent focal length range.
- The constant f/2.8 maximum aperture offers consistent performance throughout the zoom range and lends greater control over focus position for shallow depth of field techniques.
- Two extra-low dispersion elements and two Super ED elements reduce chromatic aberrations and color fringing for increased clarity and color fidelity. Each optical surface has a Nano AR Coating II applied to reduce surface reflections, flare, and ghosting for increased contrast and color rendering in strong lighting conditions.
- Four XD (extreme dynamic) Linear Motors ensure fast, precise, and accurate autofocus in both stills and video, with increased speed and improved tracking over the previous model, and reduced focus breathing, zoom shifting, and axis shifting for refined cine shooting.
- Optical Steady Shot image stabilization helps to minimize the appearance of camera shake for sharper imagery when shooting handheld with slower shutter speeds. This stabilization system can also be combined with select camera's sensor-shift type image stabilization for more effective control of camera blur. An OSS mode switch lets you choose Mode 1 for general image stabilization that is suited to most types of shooting, a Mode 2 setting that is designed for panning movements, and Mode 3 for emphasizing framing stability when shooting moving subjects.
- The lens barrel is equipped with three programmable focus control buttons and a focus range limiter switch to permit fast, intuitive operation of the lens while shooting.
The front lens element features a fluorine coating to protect against smudges and dust from adhering to the glass surface. Dust- and moisture-sealed design better permits working in harsh environments.
- A removable, rotating tripod mount permits quick switching from horizontal to vertical shooting orientations.
Included lens hood features a flocked interior for reduce glare and an opening that allows convenient operation of separately purchased circular polarizing or other rotating filters.
Compatible with Sony's optional 1.4x and 2x teleconverters, this lens can be easily transformed into a 98-280mm or 140-400mm optic, respectively.