A favored and versatile focal length coupled with an optically refined design, the Leica APO-Summicron-SL 35mm f/2 ASPH. is a general wide-angle prime designed for full-frame L-mount mirrorless cameras. The bright f/2 maximum aperture strikes a balance between speed and overall weight and size, offering a portable form factor along with the ability to excel in available light conditions. The apochromatic optical design uses anomalous partial dispersion glass to suppress colour fringing and chromatic aberrations for high clarity and colour accuracy, and five spherical elements are also featured to reduce spherical aberrations for improved sharpness. Multi-layer coatings have also been applied to limit flare and ghosting for increased contrast when working in strong lighting conditions. Complementing the optics is a Dual Syncro Drive stepping motor, which delivers fast and quiet autofocus performance to suit both stills and video applications. Additionally, an AquaDura coating has been applied to the exposed elements and seals have been incorporated in the lens design to benefit working in harsh environmental conditions.
- Wide-angle 35mm f/2 lens is designed for full-frame Leica L-mount mirrorless cameras, however can also be used with APS-C models where it provides a 52.5mm equivalent focal length.
- Bright f/2 maximum aperture benefits working in low-light conditions and also affords greater control over depth of field for working with selective focusing techniques.
- Five spherical elements are used to reduce distortion and spherical aberrations for improved sharpness and accurate rendering.
- Apochromatic design employs anomalous partial dispersion glass to suppress chromatic aberrations throughout the aperture range for increased colour accuracy and clarity.
- Multi-layer coatings have been applied to individual elements to suppress surface reflections, flare, and ghosting for increased contrast and colour fidelity.
- Dual Syncro Drive stepping motor delivers quick, precise, and near-silent autofocus performance to suit both photo and video applications. This system also avails full-time manual focus override.
- Water-repellent AquaDura coating has been applied to the front and rear optical surfaces to protect against moisture and other elements.
- Weather-sealed design protects against dust and moisture to benefit working in inclement shooting conditions.